Wednesday 1 October 2014

OUGD504 Brief 01 My Design Process Paper Folding Workshop Study Task 2

In this studio session we were asked to simply experiment with paper, play and start to form ideas about the direction we might want to go in, in regards to the layout of our leaflets. I started out by just going on instinct but aiming towards a triangular shape. As previously mentioned this is intended to suggest the directional component of my design process and the tangible drive to get to the final product.
I was aware that the way the product unfolds is crucial because it dictates the order in which information is conveyed. So, below I have shown the way that this leaflet would unfold.










Eventually it opens out to a flat sheet. This means that when designing content I would need to consider not only the separate compartments of information but also the way that they would look when shown flat on the sheet. As previously mentioned I am quite interested in the idea of creating a game of some sort that a reader would play their way through because my process is never the same twice.


I also looked at how the prongs of the leaflet fold might interlock to keep the whole thing together. However, I am not thrilled with this design; it just doesn't capture the organic nature of my design process. This is because it is too sharp and angular, reminiscent of modernist design styles.

I also tried the harebell fold with newsprint, but found it would not come undone easily enough to be a practical leaflet.However, one of the stages to get to the Harebell was this box fold. I really like its strong sense of inside and outside which is something that I cited conceptually quite early on when considering my design process.

However, once again, I feel that the straight edges of this design send the wrong message. Very little about my design process is straight foreword or clean, I want the leaflet design to communicate this. However, the very nature of folding means that there are going to be straight lines. Perhaps the content need to communicate this messiness on the inside. I quite like the idea of having something that looks clean on the outside but is quite chaotic on the inside. Because, I think I can sometimes give the impression of a logical, clean cut process, when in actual fact my head is a mess.

I thought that perhaps the reason I was getting such sharp edges was because I was starting with rectangles or squares. So, I cut out a circle and played around for a while and came up with this. It has exactly the right combination of straight edges and curved lines. Especially in tat the curves are on the inside and the lines on the outside, communicating that 'chaos inside' that I previously mentioned. 



I went on to make a model of the same design in a thicker stock, but it was too think to get the beautiful curve I got with the news print. I will need to experiment further with different stoke to see if this idea is feasible.


As tables we were then asked to discuss the pros and cons of the designs we had produced and then choose two to go to the main crit table. My design and Rebecca's bamboo fold were chosen by our table. It was really interesting to see what everyone had come up with. some really interesting uses of materials and research had come together to create some good work.

My favourite design was the one shown below. I guess what really appealed to me was the way it folded down so small, which is so practical when considering logistics and if people will actually hold onto a flyer or leaflet.


It opened out into a fan which was really interesting but perhaps difficult to match content to. These are considerations that must be made early on to make designing the content easier. Tere were also some interesting designs on our table that didn't get to the main crit table.


As a way of captaining the information this design is straight foreword but very practical, forming a simple envelope for the content. However, I question war it real communicates about the individuals design process and style, because I happen to know that this individual has a very illustrative style and quite an unorthodox approach to design most of the time, I feel that the folding should reflect this.

The use of cutting here has really inspired me, It didn't even occur to me to cut the paper to create texture rather than simply shape. The opportunities this provides for layering and interesting problem solving involving the content are endless.


This is probably one of the most complex designs that came from our table. It is made by sticking together two different folds (both called envelope folds) It works almost like a book and has a definite sense of order to it. The only thing I would question with this would be the scar because at this size the content would have to be incredibly condensed.

No comments:

Post a Comment