Sunday 19 January 2014

OUGD405 Studio Brief 04 Book Cover

Because someone asked me about the design of the cover in the crit I started thinking about how I would approach this problem. Something I had noticed as part of my type journal work and that of the previous brief was the type and design of old fashioned botanical books.  The guidance I gained from the crit suggested hand rendered type and the designs shown in the links depict an application for this. I wanted to produce a central design on the cover possibly in foil, with soft hand rendered type (with a slight suggestion of lead type shapes) and the pattern surrounding the letters taken from the illustrations inside the book.
Below is the sketch I have produced for the cover. Although it is not possible to do foil work in the time left for this brief I will use silver ink and produce the cover by hand to create a similar effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment