Monday 16 February 2015

OUGD503 Responsive Brief Penguin Book Cover Competition Leeds University Exhibition

I recently visited an exhibition in the parkinson building. It was only small but ther was a great selection of illustration for book covers that re sparked my interest in the pengiun book cover brief.



Some of Emily Sutton's work was particularly interesting for the way that the illustrations covered the entire book and created a lovely unified feeling to the cover. The texture of these illustrations was also beautifully composed.

Mark Haddon has been one of my favorite illustrators for a while now and it was great to see some of his work in its original form. The way that he collages his drawings creates depth and a lack of preciousness with his work which is refreshing.


Charles Keeping was the illustrator of the images directly above. They really caught my attention because of the transparency of the the medium. This is shown in the way the ink dribbles and trails across the paper seamlessly making the shapes needed. Although I was going to put this brief to one side in the interest of doing more work with the arts party, I think I will use it as a quick refresher to try and improve my drawing (something I desperately need).

No comments:

Post a Comment