Sunday 22 March 2015

OUGD503 Responsive Studio Brief 01 Individual Practice Leeds Arts Party Complete Evaluation of all Briefs and Interaction.

Although I am treating each piece of work I have done for the Arts party as separate, because I had to design something new for each one and it was not simply a matter of applying the same aesthetic throughout, I felt it might be useful to do an evaluation for the entirety of the work I have done for them so far. Overall I am rally happy that I was lucky enough to get the chance to design for them. What they are doing is great and there is nothing better than designing for something you believe in. They are also very open to new ideas and fantastic at giving constructive criticism. So, for a early step into real life design I hit the jackpot. However, in hind sight there are a lot of things that I would have done differently. For example, I would have liked to draw up some brand outlines that would have from the out set helped to constrain the briefs and therefore induce me to be more inventive. I find that limitations in a brief in fact help me to try and be more inventive. I also think that I should have made more of an effort to finish all of the material I am going to do for the arts party before submission. However, there are problems with this because the information for things like the program simply doesn't exist yet but it would have given my submission more weight and been a lot neater. It took me a while to figure out the aesthetic that the arts party needed. to start with I leaned towards the hand drawn because they are the arts party. It seemed obvious. That is where the problem was. They are 'arts' but the are also 'arts education', in other words, arts organised and planned. This is why I feel I have finally cracked it with the digital poster brief. The trick it to use digital edges and hand rendered textures to create a meeting of the two ideas. If nothing else this is something I will take forward into the rest of the work I will do for them. Overall, I feel that it has been a difficult set of briefs that I don't feel I have done my best work for. I have learn a lot however and this whole process has made me realise that my confidence levels are, for me, what get in the way of doing my best work. As soon as I realise it is a live brief I instantly panic and start thinking about what I could do that would be the safest and most reliable route to take, so that I come out as unscathed as possible. This is not a healthy way to treat live briefs and now I am aware of this I will attempt to remedy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment