Tuesday 3 March 2015

OUGD503 Respnsive Studio Brief 01 Individual Practice Penguin Book Cover Competition Evaluation











This was a very self pleasing project that was supposed to be quick and simple. However, nothing ever is with me. I did very little research for this project and was simply inspired to do this from an exhibition of book cover illustrations I saw recently. However, I am very happy with how this has turned out. I really enjoyed the process of creating this and treated it as a kind of respite from other work. I love the deep symbolism of the illustration and the way this came very naturally from reading and enjoying the book. The lettering work is not my best by a long way but I think it works in this context, creating a human feel to the design and an imperfect emotionality that fits the book and its tone of voice. I also think that the bright colours of the cover allow it to translate well into a digital context as well as printed. The only concerns I have are to do with the target audience and the business of the cover. I feel like perhaps this is not a gender neutral cover design, it is very feminine (this is because the book is so) and this may not help its chances in the competition. The quote on the front of the book was not something I knew about until half way through the bk that the bright colours of the cover allow it to translate well into a digital context as well as printed

No comments:

Post a Comment