Now I have a general concept of what I want to achieve with this brief I wanted to focus in on the details and do some sketches that I can work from on Illustrator. I did a few pages of practice with my parallel pen and wide nibbled dipping pen to get used to the stroke width and alignment that the medium allows.
I then drew up a grid and lettered the type by band. I find this is the best way to achieve the least mistakes on my part. There are areas of the design that I am not 100% on still. The main on being the layout of the text. However. These are things easily editable. I also played around with more free form botanics but fond that the business of something so irregular detracts from the lettering, so I will be sticking to the repetition method of ornamentation that I found in my illuminated manuscript research.
Looking back to my illustration style research I came up with these little characters for each of my skills. They are quite weird and also oddly cute which I think is a nice addition to what could be quite an aesthetically straight forward design. I do have my concerns about whether these will simple make the design more complex but I will have to wait and see.