Tuesday 29 September 2015

OUGD603 Extended Practice Love Rouge Chalkboard Brief

As one of my first live briefs I approached a small independent cafe in Headingly, with the aim of creating a bespoke chalkboard for them. The deal would be the first one is free and then any subsequent boards would be paid. I targeted my approach not only to a business that would not only benefit from having a chalkboard, but also that would fit with the aesthetic of a chalkboard.

The place that I approached first instantly worked out. Love Rouge is a small vintage themed cafe that uses mix and match vintage crockery to serve great home made cakes. The aesthetic of the inside of the shop very much matches it's brand. It's worth making note of the interior design and the visual aspect of the dining experience there to reference in the design and simply use as research.

The logo its self is also in need of examination, I will need to sketch this out and even create the majority of the lettering on this style depending on how this sits next to the logo on the window. I will need to make a point of extensive experimentation on my chalkboard and research collecting style references for the design.
There is a very distinct colour pallet that I will need to emulate in my design for it to work cohesively with the cafe. In particular this pastel blue is something I will have to search around for, but it will be worth it. Again this colour pallet 
Looking at both their existing boards, interior design and crockery a theme of three colours jump out: pink, blue and green. All in very pale pastel colours, which should be achievable in chalks! I think it may be worth re-visiting the shop to take a few more photographs of the crockery and decor for future reference.
The chalkboard shown below is the one I will be doing. As well as measuring the board its self I will need to write down all the content separately so that I can break the content down and remake it in a readable and sensible way. I also need to look into treatments for boards so that they keep the design even in the rain, because it would be a pain to have to bring this massive board in for rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment